Rice is one of those staples of the kitchen that seems to have a lot of possibilities, and you might think that you’ve tried them all! That’s what I thought until I was shown how to take foods that most consider boring, and putting them all together for a tasty casserole dish that is not only easy to make, but it’s also fun! I’ve gotten my family to help make this recipe, as there’s never enough helping hands as this dinner has a lot of moving parts!
Ham by itself is great, and so are cheese and rice. However, we tend to get a little bored when we eat these by their own too much. That’s why I was excited to share this recipe, as you might have these foods in your kitchen already! There are four different cheeses included in this recipe (jack, cheddar, parmesan and mozzarella), so don’t worry if you don’t have all of them. Having two or three will do just the trick.
As for the rest of the recipe, our pantry is already lined with packets of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, and I’m sure our house isn’t the only one that’s like that! Eggs, carrots, heavy cream and some of your more common seasonings make up most of the remaining recipe, though you’ll want to make sure that you have some onions on hand, too.
Once you’ve gotten all of your ingredients together, this ham and cheese baked rice will only take around 10 to 15 minutes to prepare (depending on how fast you can chop onions and use a grater) and only 30 minutes to cook! It’s really that simple. Of course, if you have some other helping hands in the kitchen like I do, you can cut down on the prep time and have your recipe ready in a snap!
This is a recipe that I was thrilled to hear about since I was looking for new ways to use some of the many rice packets that was lying around, and I hope that you’ll enjoy this just as much as I have. It’s also brought our family together in meal preparation, which is something that not a lot of youngsters are experiencing these days. Now, we’re eating this dish at least once per week, and sometimes more if there’s popular demand!
So get ready for a recipe that your significant other will love, as well as the kids! I’ve also found that whenever I need a side dish for a get together, this one always ends up being a hit. Pass it along to your friends and family and you’ll be eating a hearty meal in no time.
The price and family time sure beat takeout, and you’ll find that the taste is just as good as anything that you can find in a restaurant. Enjoy this ham and cheese baked rice tonight for your next meal, and dig in!
Preparation Time: 40-45 Minutes
Serves: Six to Eight People
Nutrition (Per Serving):
Fat: 30 g
Protein: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Sodium: 920 mg
Cholesterol: 70 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 4 Packs of Garlic and Butter Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 2 Grated Carrots
- 2 Cups of Heavy Cream
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 2 Cups of Diced Black Forest Ham
- 1 Cup of Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup of Grated Jack Cheese
- 1 Cup of Diced Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Oregano, Dried and Crushed
- ½ Cup of Green Onions
- Extra Diced Parsley and Green Onions
- Before you get started with the rice, don’t forget to preheat your oven to 350 degrees (175 celsius). Also, take your tablespoon of butter and grease up a 13×19 inch casserole dish.
- Now it’s time to focus on the rice. There are a couple of different ways that you can use Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. If you’re in a hurry, you can use the microwave. All you have to do is squeeze the packet to separate the rice, then make a two inch tear for the rice to vent. Then, cook the packets in the microwave on high for 90 seconds, and you can cook two packets at a time for 150 seconds for each pair.
- If you want your rice to be cooked more thoroughly, you can use the skillet! Just pour the rice into the skillet and cook on medium heat, adding in two tablespoons of water. Cook the rice until it’s thoroughly heated. No matter which way you choose to cook the rice, it’s sure to come out great!
- Next, we’ll take a bowl and beat two eggs, then adding in our two cups of heavy cream. We’ll then add in one half of our blend of spices (chili powder, onion powder, oregano, creole seasoning black pepper). Mix them together until it’s consistent.
- We’ll grab one more bowl, pouring in our finished rice. Add the cream and egg mixture on top of the rice first, followed by the other half of our seasonings. From there, toss the carrots, cheese, ham and onions into the bowl, mixing them all together thoroughly.
- Once that’s done, we’ll be ready to cook! Place all of the ingredients into the casserole dish and use any leftover ingredients to top the dish. Place the dish in your oven for around 30 minutes, then bring the heat to a boil. After five minutes of broiling, take the dish out of the oven and place it on your cooled stovetop or counter. Finish it off by adding the extra parsley and green onions that we had, letting it sit for five minutes.
- You’re all finished! There should be enough for up to eight servings, meaning everyone in the family will be able to get a taste! If there’s anything left, just pop it into the refrigerator for the next day!