There aren’t many people out there that don’t appreciate a good chocolate cake. In fact, chocolate is the most preferred type of cake out there and ranked highly amongst all desserts in general. Sure, you could buy a chocolate cake from the store or a restaurant or get a mix that you can make at home, but there’s nothing quite as satisfying as making your own chocolate cake from scratch.
Almost everyone that has made a chocolate cake has said that they have the perfect recipe, which makes sense seeing as how chocolate cake has been around for more than 250 years at this point. However, I’ve found one that has really stood out among recipes that I’ve tried over the years that’s been a huge hit with friends and family members alike.
This recipe is what I call a “special occasion” cake since it’s the richest recipe that I’ve ever used before. It’s not something that you’d want to make on a nightly basis, but you could if you wanted to since it only takes around one hour from start to finish! I’ve made this cake for weddings, graduation parties, Christmas parties and other occasions that call for something a little extra.
If you’re up for the task of making one of the sweetest cakes that you’ll ever try, we have the recipe and instructions on how to make it below! Many of these ingredients that we use are things that can be found in many pantries already, making this cake not only a delight to eat, but also simple to make. Give this one a shot and you’re sure to have a great time in the kitchen and seeing the smiles on everyone’s face after they give it a try!
Preparation Time: 65 to 75 Minutes
Nutrition (Per Serving):
Fat: 24 g
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 115 g
Sodium: 600 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 1 ¾ Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups of White Sugar
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- ¾ Cups of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Additional 1 ½ Cups of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Milk
- Additional ⅔ Cups of Milk
- ½ Cup of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- Additional 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup of Boiling Water
- ¾ Cups of Butter
- 5 ⅓ Cups of Confectioners’ Sugar
- To get started, we’ll set the oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees Celsius). While that’s warming up, take out a pair of nine inch cake pans. Grease and flour these pans to get ready for our first set of ingredients.
- Once that’s ready, take out a medium bowl. In this bowl, add in 1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour, two cups of white sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons of both baking soda and baking powder, a teaspoon of salt and ¾ cups of unsweetened cocoa powder. Stir them together until you have a nice blend.
- In the same bowl, add in two eggs, one cup of milk two teaspoons of vanilla extract and a ½ cup of vegetable oil. Use an electric mixer to blend these ingredients until you have the perfect mixture, then add in a cup of boiling water. Continue to stir until the mixture has thickened slightly and then evenly pour the mixture among your two cake pans.
- Place both of the pans in the oven for 30 minutes. After the time is up, take a toothpick and insert it into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then you’re ready for the next step. If not, it should take up to an additional five minutes in the oven. Once the cakes are finished, take them out to cool for 10 minutes.
- Now we’ll focus on our frosting, where we need to grab another mixing bowl. This time, you’ll need to cream ¾ cups of butter until it’s fluffier. Add in 1 ½ cups of additional cocoa powder and 5 ⅓ cups of confectioners’ sugar. Add in another ⅔ cups of milk and teaspoon of vanilla extract, beating the mixture until it’s consistent.
- Take both of your cooled cakes and cut them into even horizontal pieces, so you should have four even pieces in total. Add the first cake to a bottom of a serving dish, and then add frosting on top. Repeat this until you have all four layers and all are covered with frosting. When finished, add your leftover frosting to the outside of the cake, and you’re all set! There should be enough for 12 hearty and sweet pieces for people to enjoy, though you might want to cut more pieces since this one is very sweet!